From Humble Beginnings
The Burkhart Family
Carl Henry (Doc Henry) practiced medicine from 1907 to 1933 in Farragut/Concord TN. In that era all physicians made home calls, delivered babies, and compounded medicines. His practice was in his home (he lived upstairs and his office was below). The home still stands and is now a historical landmark. His example as a consummate physician inspired his nephew John Henry Burkhart to become a doctor.
John H. Burkhart attended what is now the University of TN Health Sciences Center in Memphis for medical school, graduating in 1945. At that time all new graduate physicians were required to serve in the Army for 2 years, and he completed his service in the United States and Japan. He established his solo practice in 1951 and became incorporated as John H. Burkhart, MD, PC in 1974. While in practice he received several awards from the American Medical Association, the Tennessee Medical Association, and the Knoxville Academy of Medicine.
One by one, all three of John H. Burkhart's sons became physicians, two of whom joined him in practice as primary care physicians: John M. in 1980, and William L. in 1985; Patrick H. practiced dermatology in Maryville, TN until he retired in 2021. The Burkhart’s Primary Care office was in the professional tower of St Mary’s Hospital, where all three primary care physicians served as Chief of Staff at some point in their careers. William L. (commonly called Dr. Bill) led the family practice alone from 1998 to 2020.
Dr. Bill's son William B. became a physician in 2019. Beacon Primary Care, PLLC was established in 2022 as a continuation of the Burkhart/Henry family tradition in family medicine. It is envisioned as both a return to primary care's roots, and a new path forward as part of the broader DPC movement.
*As a family, the Burkharts have been serving Knoxville for over a century.